Please note when selecting role groups, the Gatherers group is an alternative to the Gardeners — you cannot have both groups!
Welcome to the Fort Ross Garden! One of the main objectives in establishing the Ross Colony was to grow food to feed the Alaskan settlements. Gardening was so important that specialists were sent to the colony to help increase productivity. Overseen by Russians, the labor was largely carried out by the Kashia Pomo and Coast Miwok people, some of whom lived at Settlement Ross with the Russians.
As gardeners, you are responsible for planting, caring for and gathering food from the garden.
Gardeners Classroom Preparation –
- The Kashia Pomo and Coast Miwok peoples were an integral part of the Ross settlement. Study their lifestyle. What was it like before Europeans came to California?
- How were the Indian people treated at Fort Ross?
- Find out what crops were produced at Settlement Ross and compare Mission and Russian agriculture
- Research what kinds of plants grew in the area
- Plan and prepare for your gardening at Colony Ross – planting a garden area with new seedlings, mulching around established plants, weeding invasive species, harvesting usable herbs and vegetables, watering the whole garden as needed
- Plant garden area with new seedlings, mulch around established plants, weed invasive species, harvest usable herbs and vegetables
- Make a banner for your group (optional)
- Please do not use plastic plant ID markers
Gardeners Classroom Preparation and Onsite Activities –
General Information, Rules and Expectations – Please read through this carefully
Gardeners Role Play Characters – Use this list to select your role play characters
Gardeners Onsite Task List – An essential list of your tasks and responsibilities
Gardeners Planting – Important information to plan your garden planting
Gardeners Scarecrow Project – An optional activity for Gardeners
Gardeners Basket Weaving – A traditional onsite activity for Gardeners
Night Watch – Night Watch is mandatory, read all about it!
Items to Bring – A list of items to bring…Check it twice!
Russian American Company Travel Permits – Don’t forget your papers, to gain entrance to the Fort
Gardeners Additional Information –
Brief History and Walking Tour – Learn about the history, buildings and grounds of Fort Ross
Gardeners Food Grown at Fort Ross – A list of foods historically grown and gathered at Ross
Creole Privileges – Read this to learn about the RAC’s historic regulations and privileges regarding Creoles
Gardeners Historical Tools – Check out Colony Ross’ agricultural inventory from 1841