All ELP and ELDP teachers are required to attend a Teachers’ Training Workshop which is held at various times in the school year (specific dates to be announced each year). The training may consist of observing a live ELP session from start to finish and may include an overnight stay at the fort for the teachers planning an ELP (as opposed to an ELDP). Teachers may NOT send a substitute to the training. If a teacher cannot be at the training, nor any other training before their session, she/he will not be able to participate in the program.
Returning teachers are not required to stay the night, however they are required to attend again as a refresher after three years.
We highly recommend teachers bring at least one or two parents or aides with them to the training so they can provide knowledgeable assistance in the classroom and while their class is onsite. Before arriving at the training, please communicate with the ELP Manager, confirming your planned attendance and whether or not you (and your parents and aides) will be wanting meals included.
Please be prepared to fully participate. The pace is fast and active at times, and at other times more reflective, with discussions that linger. Our goal is to have you feel completely prepared to bring your class to Fort Ross for a safe and wonderful experience. We are looking forward to meeting you and enjoying two days of fun and learning together! Please email Song Hunter at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Teachers and parent aides without meals:
- Teachers and parent aides with meals:
$45/person – This includes dinner the first night, light breakfast the next morning and snacks(please bring a bag lunch).
Here is a list of things to bring to the workshop:
- Cash or check made out to: FRC-ELP
- A sun hat for warm weather, a wool cap for cool weather
- Sleeping bag and pad (you will be sleeping on hard wooden floors inside the fort buildings)
- A bag lunch for the first day
- For anyone opting out of having meals included: Food for dinner, breakfast, and snacks
- All Eating Utensils–cup and/or water bottle, plate, bowl, knife, fork and spoon.
- Clothes for both warm and cold weather
- A flashlight
- A writing pad and writing implements for note taking
- Optional – A Pad to sit on while on our hard wooden benches
- Optional – funds for curriculum material you might purchase in the bookshop
- Please come in period costume (see link for suggestions), this is very important as we will be following a live ELP in costume. We want to respect the mood and time period they are setting.